You might know the math game called Bump! Well, these spelling games are a take on that, except they encourage kids to practice and write their spelling words in an interactive way. We call the spelling games Word Bump!
As mentioned in my ebook, Teaching Kids to Spell, spelling needs to be HANDS-ON and DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE in order for kids to build a solid foundation for spelling. And this is true of ALL students, from Kindergarten to High School. That’s why Word Bump! is so much fun.
Find more spelling games, like Word Bump! in my ebook, Printable Spelling Activities and Games. There’s over 700 pages of resources PLUS editable pages!
Interactive Spelling Games – Word Bump!
Here are the many reason we love Word Bump!
- It’s interactive and fun. We’re not asking kids to copy their words 5 times each to earn a sticker. We’re playing a game!
- It’s naturally multi-leveled (a HUGE benefit for any classroom teacher or homeschooling parent). Any child who knows even 12 words can play. AND they can play with a child who knows 300 words because both kids have their own spelling list.
- It integrates math. Kids have to add numbers to play. There are game boards for 1 die, 2 dice, and 3 dice.
- It encourages sportsmanship. I do not have my kids compete against each other often, but I do believe an important part of maturity is learning to lose (and win) well. These games are great practice for learning to do just that.
- It’s highly adaptable. We’ve used it for sight words and phonics words. Any spelling list works, so you can integrate it right into your current spelling curriculum.
Word Bump! Themed Games Available
These are all FREE downloads, with spelling games included for each season of the year…
More Hands-On Spelling Activities
Want MORE Free Teaching Resources?
Join thousands of other subscribers to get hands-on activities and printables delivered right to your inbox!