An informal literacy assessment is any type of test that you can use with a child to help you observe his/her understanding about literacy concepts.
Here is a list of FREE literacy assessments that I have used or still use to drive my reading & spelling instruction:
- Book & Print Awareness Assessment: (Find the download at the bottom of the post)
- K-3 Phonics Assessment from This Reading Mama
- Cool Tools: An a.m.a.z.i.n.g. collection of assessments for phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, & comprehension!
- Jennings Informal Reading Assessment: This informal reading assessment includes word lists, reading passages, and comprehension questions for grades K-8.
- Running Records: a great go-to resource with helpful tips
Spelling Inventories from Words Their Way: this is such a thorough, yet quick way to assess exactly what your child understands about phonics. There are some spelling inventories, ranging from K to 5th grade.