Word families are such a powerful way to teach beginning spellers (and readers) that words contain and share patterns. Once your child has a firm grasp on letters and the sounds they make, teaching them to read and spell with word families is key. Join me today at The Measured Mom as I share an idea and FREE printable for learning to spell with word families.
If you’re joining me for the first time from The Measured Mom, welcome to This Reading Mama! Here are a few spelling and word family resources that I offer:
- COMING SOON! The free printable I am sharing on The Measured Mom today is a part of a spelling resource pack that will be found in the appendix of my upcoming book, Teaching Kids to Spell: A Developmental Approach to Spelling. My book will be available for purchase this Sunday, March 16 for $3.99!
- Reading Words by Word Family Chunks
- Flip a Word (a short vowel word family activity)
- If you use BOB Books, you can find FREE word family activities, particularly in Set 1
- Reading the Alphabet (a FREE 31- week reading curriculum for emergent readers) has word family activities for –at, -ig, -ot, -et, and -ug.
This Reading Mama + The Measured Mom
If you followed along last fall, you are aware of the 12-week writing series that The Measured Mom and I did together called Simple Writing Lessons for the Primary Grades. This spring, The Measured Mom and I are teaming up again to do a writing series for Pre-K and Kindergarten, so stay tuned! 🙂
Want MORE Free Teaching Resources?
Join thousands of other subscribers to get hands-on activities and printables delivered right to your inbox!