An informal literacy assessment is any type of test that you can use with a child to help you observe his/her understanding about literacy concepts.
Here is a list of FREE literacy assessments that I have used or still use to drive my reading & spelling instruction:
- Book & Print Awareness Assessment: (designed for beginning readers)
- Cool Tools: An a.m.a.z.i.n.g. collection of assessments for phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, & comprehension!
- Jennings Informal Reading Assessment: This informal reading assessment includes word lists, reading passages, and comprehension questions for grades K-8.
- Running Records: a great go-to resource with helpful tips
Spelling Inventories from Words Their Way: this is such a thorough, yet quick way to assess exactly what your child understands about phonics. There are three different leveled spelling lists, ranging from K to high school.
- Primary Spelling Inventory: 26 words, appropriate for K through 3rd grade
- Elementary Spelling Inventory: 25 words, appropriate for first grades through fifth grades
- Upper-Level Spelling Inventory: 31 words, appropriate for upper elementary, middle, high school, & post-secondary levels.